by Rev Joel Yong
Revelation 21:22-25 (ESV)
And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,
and its gates will never be shut by day – and there will be no night there.
I noticed a few things about this text. It says:
- There is no temple
- There is no celestial illumination (sun and moon do not exist)
- There are gates that are never shut
The reason for this is:
- There is no longer an intermediary required like a synagogue or a church or a place of worship for one to visit, in order to perform rites in obedience to God. God is personally present in their midst.
- The presence of God shines upon them all, in such a manner that there is no need for sunlight or moonlight anymore – day and night no longer exist, and neither do the sun or moon).
- There is no need to shut one’s gates to defend oneself from robbers or enemies anymore. There are no enemies and crime no longer exists. God Himself is the defense of His people in every moment of the city’s existence.
What an amazing place it must be.
There is no longer a reason to fear that all we have, can be taken away by evil men, or by disease or death or any misfortune.
There is complete illumination, not just in a physical sense but also in a spiritual manner because God perpetually shines on us, showing us with His light how to live our lives!
His presence in that city with His people, must be such a comfort and such a pleasure to enjoy.
I long for it. What about you?