Worship is more than and more important than worship ministry.
by Rev Joel Yong
Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word. And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them. And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
- The apostles were focused on what they were supposed to do – prayer and the ministry of the word.
- They thought the problem, to be genuine and warranted certain attention.
- Seven men were chosen for the task and specifically had hands laid on them, commissioning them for such a specific task.
As the church grew, more issues arose that had never existed before, when the believers were just a handful.
Yet the church couldn’t realistically intend to operate in the same way as before.
So the apostles acknowledged the need and the gravity of the issue.
But they did not wish to be sidetracked and appointed 7 who were deemed fit for the task and commissioned them to attend to it.
- What is a new problem that you are tackling today – at work or in relationships – that came about because of growth/age?
- What resources are you devoting to attend to it?
- Bear in mind, whilst problems are part and parcel of our existence, problem- solving should not be the reason for our existence, for problems are endless. Focus instead on your calling in life and don’t deviate from it just because problems increase. The problems will always be there, manifesting in different ways.