by Rev Joel Yong
Remind believers to willingly place themselves under the authority of government officials. Believers should obey them and be ready to help them with every good thing they do.
My guess is we all would like to blame someone for something when the situation is not as ideal as we hoped.
And the government, whichever nation we happen to be from, always gets the brunt of it.
Think of any nation, any point in history, and I am sure there would be complaining about the government. It’s the citizens’ way of ‘grasping for control’ when they feel a situation is ‘not meeting their expectations’.
But our leaders, are men and women of flesh and blood, like us. They need our help too, to shape the nation and make our land a better place. So before we launch into another tirade about what is wrong with our country, may I suggest this:
- Write a list about what is right in our country.
- Tell a government leader what you like about their work. Tell another fellow citizen too. So that instead of spreading negativity, discouragement and painting an overly desolate picture of our nation- we end up celebrating what is good about it.
- Now make a list of what improvements you think your nation needs.
- Now make a list of how YOU tried to help our nation improve in these aspects.
- Now write a note to your representatives about how you would like to offer help and be open to what they have to say.
Engage our government, work WITH them, work within the legal parameters. Be a part of change, rather than just a complaining voice. It helps, because we as citizens are stakeholders too and should do our part to encourage the growth we seek in our nations.